[Mplayer-dev-eng] Porting to IRIX/Solaris

Juergen Keil jk at tools.de
Fri Jul 20 16:39:06 CEST 2001

> A while ago, Gernot planned to port Mplayer (or mpg12play) to IRIX.
> Now with libavcodec for DivX support this would be even more interesting
> than before. A port to these plattforms would be without ANY "competitors".
> I also remember something about a running StrongARM port...
>
> Can anybody update me to current status?

Most of the code in mplayer should be "byte-order" clean, now.  And it
doesn't access unaligned int16/int32 values any more on non-x86 cpus.
The code compiles and mostly works on SPARC Solaris 2.6 or newer (there
some issues with Solaris 2.5.1, missing inttypes.h, no snprintf,
etc...).   One remaining issue I know is with some mpeg1 videos, where
sound output doesn't work (mp3/mp3lib, produces noise,  only on a
big-endian/SPARC machine).

The code currently compiles (and benchmarks :-) without problems on
sourceforge's compilefarm on the Linux/RS/6000 PowerPC machine and the
Linux Ultra60 SPARC machine.  I don't know what it looks and sounds
like, if you sit in front of a real Linux/PowerPC or Linux/SPARC
machine using mplayer, though  ;-)

The code also compiles on the Linux/alpha compilefarm box, but
immediatelly crashes when you run it with an .avi file.  So,  mplayer
is probably not 100% 64-bit clean, yet.

Problem is of cause that some DivX movies use 0x160/0x161 audio format
(DivX audio WMA), and that's not available on non-x86 platforms, because
the only audio codec currently uses the win32 DLLs.

Porting the code to IRIX shouldn't be too difficult...

Jürgen Keil          		jk at tools.de
Tools GmbH			+49 (228) 9858011