[Mplayer-dev-eng] SLOW HARDWARE

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Thu Jul 19 02:48:50 CEST 2001

Hello, Arpi!

A few words about playing back on slow hardware:

1. Is it possible to do in mplayer option like -aframedrop
(drop audio frames instead of video)?
What I mean: when I watch movie on slow hardware without enabled framedrop
then sound outdistances video stream. This effect become since mplayer
can't decode all audio frames (and skip part of them). We have that when we
watch N video frame then audio is decoded from N+100 frame. In this connexion
- is it possible that mplayer will drop audio frames instead of video (since with
-nosound option it play in real-time)?

2. Superficial analysis shows me that mplayer too frequently calls read() function
to read next bit from file. There was report that on FreeBSD mplayer works faster
than on Linux. In this connexion maybe it would be better to add mmap technology
to read from memory, instead file directly. In this case system will read from
file only 4K blocks that is much faster of calling read() function for each byte even
from buffer. (You will be able to read from memory an each byte even in codecs).
Am I wrong?
I can apply this feature (I did such changes but for 0.17-pre version but left them).
But I'm not sure about stream64 patch - when and who will apply it.

3. Many from my friends have found that ffmpeg codec is better of win32-divx
but they spend a lot of time to activate them. You promise to release a two (or more)
codecs.conf - is it possible to do now?

Best regards! Nick