[Mplayer-dev-eng] plans ?

Felix Bünemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jul 13 19:59:15 CEST 2001

Hello Balazs,

Friday, July 13, 2001, 7:03:57 PM, you wrote:

>> yes, it will be surely change, to LGPL or something else special.

BT> why?

>> > Btw. codec not dropping frame is on your system more likely to be due
>> > to YV12 format, as your video card is quite slow and not your CPU, so
>> agree.
>> > decreased bandwidth for the graphics card makes up less dropped frames
>> > (or am I wrong?).
>> no. you're right.
>> YV12 will help for most users with bandwith problems (amd users).
>> it transfers 12 bit for each pixels, instad of 16 bits/pixel of YUY2.
>> and teh codec don't have to convert YV12->YUY2 internally.

BT> YV12 will help for most users, but not for me :(

BT> See my test results:

[results not of much relevance]

arg you don't quite get it, YV12 memory bandwidth of course only is
lower when you directly diplay in YV12, this means with XVideo, all
other stuff gets direct bgr from codec (divxds/divx) or has to do YV12
to BGR conversion (ffdivx), so of xourse you won't gain performance
through that then (-bpp 15 would be lowest memory badwidth then and
when using ffdivx -bpp 16 should be fastest, cause it has MMX
conversion, whereas 15bpp hasn't).

BT> well, my time is up and I saw, that jkeil commited some optimization to
BT> libavcodec, so I'll recompile mplayer, rerun my tests and after weekend
BT> I'll publish them :)

BT> Bye
BT> Tibcu

BT> and have a nice weekend at Balaton, Arpi! :)
yes, he truly deserves.

--
Best regards,
 Felix                            mailto:atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net