[Mplayer-dev-eng] DVD: anything else besides libcss?

Jason Lunz j at falooley.org
Mon Jul 9 20:34:48 CEST 2001

lgb at lgb.hu said:
> libcss also does not require to be root!

true

> The main problem with CSS at all that you need the starting sector of
> the object because it's a must for doing title authentication.  This
> information can be determined with doing FIBMAP ioctl but that needs
> to be root under Linux

true

> (FIBMAP as non-root user is not planned for Linux kernel 2.5.x
> either).

the last post from alan cox on this subject indicated that FIBMAP would
be safe for non-root as soon as every filesystem that implemented it was
audited to make sure it was safe. that's a good bit of work, but it is
planned, AFAIK.

> This is true for every possible CSS implementation AFAIK. The solution
> is using informations from IFO files.  This does not require root
> privs of course. As you can see this root or non-root problem is not
> CSS implementation related thing. AFAIK.  (Or it's possible that
> libdvdcss has got some IFO parsing utils, I don't know.) ALL: Please
> correct me if I've missed something.

the difference is that libdvdcss uses sector-based addressing; it
doesn't open the VOB files directly. that's why it doesn't need to use
FIBMAP, it already knows the physical sector address. that would also
explain why the dvd doesn't have to be mounted. it seems that it must be
able to read the UDF filesystem off of the raw device itself, without
using the kernel to help.

IMO, dvd playing should:
 - use libdvdcss for the advantages mentioned above, and
 - use the code i hear is in ogle to parse IFO format to get goodies
   like subtitle palettes and the DVD menus.

now someone just needs to implement it. :)

jason