[Mplayer-dev-eng] DVD: anything else besides libcss?

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Mon Jul 9 01:14:48 CEST 2001

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 11:12:14PM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Jul 2001 16:08:33 +0200 (CEST) Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu> wrote:
>
> > what is the difference between libcss and libdvdcss?
> > does libdvdcss exists for linux and solaris8 too?
>
> libdvdcss should be highly portable (vlc is running on
> a lot of platforms, different processors and OS)
>
> A friend said that it's also easier to use
> ("open, read, close") and at least it does not need root.

libcss also does not require to be root!
The main problem with CSS at all that you need the starting sector
of the object because it's a must for doing title authentication.
This information can be determined with doing FIBMAP ioctl but that
needs to be root under Linux (FIBMAP as non-root user is not planned
for Linux kernel 2.5.x either). This is true for every possible CSS
implementation AFAIK. The solution is using informations from IFO files.
This does not require root privs of course. As you can see this root or
non-root problem is not CSS implementation related thing. AFAIK.
(Or it's possible that libdvdcss has got some IFO parsing utils, I
don't know.) ALL: Please correct me if I've missed something.

- Gabor

--
 --[ Gábor Lénárt ]---[ Vivendi Telecom Hungary ]---------[ lgb at lgb.hu ]--
 U have 8 bit comp or chip of them and it's unused or to be sold? Call me!