[Mplayer-dev-eng] Re[3]: [Mplayer-users] 0.18pre4 released with native divx codec :)

Felix Bünemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jul 7 23:08:59 CEST 2001

Hello Arpi,

Saturday, July 07, 2001, 6:49:24 PM, you wrote:

A> Hi,

>> > I know, these switches are of course useless for config file, but if you
>> > always want to prefer ffmpeg codecs you can simply move them up in codecs.conf
>> > but we may simply allow bothe methods, so have -ac and -vc and also have -afm
>> > and -vfm how about that?
>>
>> No. You may want to test performance of ffmpeg codecs only and you don't want
>> to edit codecs.conf each time. I wanted to avoid this constant editing with
>> my new option. You may want to use to test several ffmpeg codecs for a while
>> on different type of movies (different codecs within ffmpeg codecs "familiy").
>> So it's simple to put a vcodec=5 line into your config file and you needn't
>> worry about playing movies can't handled by ffmpeg codecs because mplayer
>> would fall back other type of codecs in this way and so on.
>>
>> Maybe I'm wrong but imho now there is NO option to select codec driver
>> FAMILY (not an individual codec, a set of codecs belong to the same driver
>> type). For testing purposes I will keep my modification (though I'm not sure
>> to mix it with your patch and commit or not) because it's much more easy to
>> test several things in this way (dshow/nodshow switches were similar to my
>> option but those were able to select between dshow/nodshow codecs only.
>> I want to extend this to any type with -vcodec).
>>
>> Well, this is not a flame thread though it begins to become that :)

A> Ok. Then my opinion:
A> We need both -ac/-vc options (to select a single driver by name, and fail
A> if it can't be selected) and -afm/-vfm to select codec family (it was
A> 'format' before, but 'fm' is goof for 'family' too :))
A> This -afm/-vfm stuff should fallback to autodetect, if no usable codec
A> found in the selected driver (it will solve Nick's -afm 1 vs. AC3 problem
too) ->> it means that -afm should be fixed too (it will force driver,
A> doesn't matter that if works...) and -vfm added again.

Yea, exactly what I thought (even the stuff with format like family
:), I'll code it this night and commit in the morning.

A> If we are alredy here, then the status field of codec descriptors should
A> be handled too. For exampel, simply skip drivers with 'crashing' status...
A> (skip if there are other working codecs for this format, and print
A> warning message if no better codec found)
hmm, but currently there is no predefined stuff yet for status field
so that should be defined first before adding that.

A> and we should move to -dev-eng list...
just done.

A> A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

btw. sorry I mail with windooze but my linux mailprog is currently
fucked up and here I have the whole maildatabase, too. :(

--
Best regards,
 Felix                            mailto:atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net