[MPlayer-dev-eng] LIBA52 and 3DNOW!

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Dec 30 17:45:35 CET 2001

Hi,

> I've tested new stuff of libac52. There is only one problem: VOLUME.
> It produces only 60% from libac3 volume.

it stays for C version too.
and it was a bug of libac3, not of liba52.
libac3 ignored volume infos from ac3 frame headers, and sometimes caused
overflow. liba52 is 100% standard compliant about a.52 (aka ac3) decoding.

maybe we could add an user option to set ac3 volume. it's easy to implement.
another thing to do, is user option to en/disable dynamic range compensation
(it's something to switch between noisy environment and listening room
environment - the later uses bigger volume dinamic and afair it's default)

> But there are no visible sound distortions now!
great.

> And the last: What's problem with runtime 3dnowex detection?
dunno

> P.S.: Current CVS version fails to build mencoder for me due losing libmp3lame.
> (configure didn't detect this library but make tries to build mencoder).
> Does exist there workaround for this problem?
i'm already working on that

> Indeed I could use ffmpeg audio codecs for that.
they are not supported, and anyway produce very poor quality
(no psychoacustic compensation implemenetd in ffmpeg yet)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu