[MPlayer-dev-eng] NuppelVideo

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Wed Dec 26 19:40:16 CET 2001

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Johannes Feigl wrote:

> since realencoder 6.0 there is a new codec, "G2" - generation 2.
> there is not opensource decoder for this.

	There's nothing terribly mystical about G2. As I recall, that's
the PR-friendly name for their audio codec named Cooker. It's been a long
time since I poked around in RealMedia, but I seem to recall there was a
family of 6 codecs, 3 for audio and 3 for video:
RV10: As has been mentioned, H.263-based; not an unreasonable guess
RV20: RealVideo 2.0, nothing known
RV30: RealVideo 3.0,nothing known, but I don't believe I've ever seen any
media encoded with it
DNET: apparently one of their original audio codecs, to be used with music
SIPR: SiprNet, based on ACELP, and is great for compressing voice
COKR(?): Cooker, the fabled G2 audio codec

> but I would say so it is very similar to quicktime.
> soreson is there the new codec, and with mplayer we can only watch older
> QT-Files ...

	Most multimedia file formats sport the same features, and RM is no
exception: They usually have a header with info about A/V, an index of
encoded chunks, and the actual chunks. RM is actually much simpler (IMO)
than QT or even AVI, and well-documented by Real themselves.
--
	-Mike Melanson