[MPlayer-dev-eng] dvdnav second installment, help needed

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Dec 23 13:59:35 CET 2001

Hi,

> As you can see in stream.c dvd menus support something called still pictures.
> This is used commonly in menus to provide a still background. A still picture
> is basically preceeded by an mpeg ps stream which contains a video packet
> with the picture incoded as intra (I assume ;). This is where I need help,
> when the demuxer get's a still picture it currently freaks out since it's
> preceeded only by audio. The demuxer kills mplayer telling me there are too
> many audio packets in the buffer. I understand why this happens but I've been
> unable to make a clean implementation to solve this.

clean...

do you know a clean way to detect still pictures? i mean, there is info
about them in IFO file, or PS/ES header etc ?

xine guys are working on this issue for months, with no full success yet.
from their mailing it seems to no clean way, just some heuristics. but i
don't like to introduce such thing ni mplayer. they play with PTS and DTS
differences,. but it's too messy, and sometimes break non-dvd content.

second prob: most mplayer libvo drivers use double buffering.
so decoded still pic in decoder buffer won't be displayed until next picture
is decoded... it can be solved only with big mess, or ... libvo2.

> So could someone help me out and have a look at the demuxer to allow it to
> receive only audio (and only video since this is also allowed by the
audio only not supported by mplayer core.
maybe, a possible ugly mess is repeating video frame...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu