[MPlayer-dev-eng] Fwd: Contribute: Cinepak codec for mplayer

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Dec 21 08:52:30 CET 2001

--------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Tim Ferguson <timf at mail.csse.monash.edu.au>
To: arpi at thot.banki.hu
Subject: Contribute: Cinepak codec for mplayer

G'day A'rpi,

A long time ago I had a play with the Cinepak (CVID) decoder for AVI and QT
(mov) files.  I thought you might like a native decoder for mplayer, in a
similar way that the MSVC/CRAM decoder was added.

Attached to this file is a .tar.gz archive.  This contains two files:
cinepak.c and notes.txt.  If the cinepak.c is added to the makefile,
and the notes.txt are roughly followed, the decoder can be made to work
with your project.

Of note, I like the playback speed of mplayer, and the rapid rate of
development.  I am a little disappointed in the structure.  It is difficult
to add decoders without modification of the main source code.  Some sort of
plugin system would be better.

If this decoder interests you, I have a few other codecs that could be
added.  I am away until the 3rd of January 2002 and can answer questions
or receive feedback then.

Have a good Christmas and New Year,

Tim.

--
[ Dr. Tim Ferguson - School Comp. Sci. & Soft. Eng. Monash University ]
[ E-mail: timf at csse.monash.edu.au  -or-  Phone: +61-3-9905-3227 (bh)  ]