[MPlayer-dev-eng] [offtopic]: xmpeg & Linux porting?

Hetz Ben Hamo hetz at kde.org
Sun Dec 16 19:38:30 CET 2001

Hi,

This is a bit offtopic, but yet, I couldn't find anyone who knows about
something...

Tom's hardware has a good article about converting DVD's to DivX 4 and he's
talking how with the latest version of Divx 4, you can with a chip like
P4-1.5 Ghz can do compression in real time.

It's not entirely accurate as I tested it on a P4 1.5 Ghz with 512MB ram and
Windows XP - you get around 18-20 FPS with 160kbps MP3 encoding.. (and yes,
thats from YUV to YUV and I tried from YVU to YV12 - same results).

Now to my point - the program which he checks through it called XMPEG and
it's a newer version of the well known Flask MPEG tool..

Now - the codec is available for Linux and even natively (so no need
winelib), and the XMPEG is available under GPL - so the question is - is
someone thought about converting it to Linux?

So far the only conversion program that I've seen is DRIP, which I think
sucks (specially the speed, the stability and the need to move the entire DVD
to hard drive first). ANyone knows GOOD alternatives?

--
Hetz Ben Hamo
hetz at kde.org