[MPlayer-dev-eng] The eternal question : rpms

Matthias Saou matthias at rpmforge.net
Thu Dec 13 00:48:50 CET 2001

Once upon a time, Arpi wrote :

> good work, thanks.
> do you plan to maintain this file?
> i don't see placing it to cvs unless someone keeps it up-to-date.

I'm not even sure it's worth placing it inside in fact... there are really
looooots (too many?) of (optional) dependencies and compile-time options.
But yeah, I'll maintain it, like everything else on http://freshrpms.net/

> btw, something to fix:
> you write in description that it plays vivo, divx and 3ivx.
> but it doesn't depend/install win32 codecs, ffmpeg's libavcodec nor xanim
> codecs. without them it can play only a very limited range of codecs.

Yeah, I just added a dependency on my divx4linux package since it requires
it to read divx4 files... but I can't seem to play "old" DivX files with no
more Windows DLLs like I am now able to with either xine or aviplay.

> also note, that it shouldn't depend son libdvdcss and libdvdread, they're
> optional  (and be sure it's libdvdcss 0.0.3 not 1.0.0 and libdvdread
> 0.9.x not 0.8.x)

Well, the versions I package (since I also package Ogle, Xine and VideoLan)
are currently 1.0.0 and 0.9.2 respectively. Are there any reasons why it
wouldn't work with it? Sure, I had to patch libdvdread since the libdvdcss
version was hard coded in the source, but these "new" versions work great
with Ogle and the Xine DVD menu plugin, so I suppose with MPlayer too since
access is only made through libdvdread who himself accesses libdvdcss,
right?

I've already made some more tests on my package and changed it a bit. I'll
probably just "pre-release" in my testing area and await some feedback
before going any further since I'm not very familiar with MPlayer yet ;-)

Cheers,
Matthias

Red Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma) running Linux kernel 2.4.16-i8k
Load : 1.65 1.80 1.79, AC on-line, battery charging: 100% (5:45)