[MPlayer-dev-eng] libmp1e bugreport

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Dec 8 16:40:17 CET 2001

Hi,

> Ok, I commited some more fixes, could you try again?
> I haven't changed the malloc.h stuff yet. I'm working on a new lib to
> replace libmp1e (hopefully). So I don't want to spend more time than
> needed to make libmp1e compile on the used platforms right now...

suggestion for new library API:

it should have only 3 public function:

init  - set resolution, fps, bitrate, mode (I-only, I+P, I+P+B frames) etc
encode - pass a uncompressed yv12/yuy2 farem and it returns compressed mpeg frame
uninit - close decoder, free buffers

possible problem: if mp1e support B frames, it requires frame reordering.
(it needs next PI frame to be able to encode B frames)

so you should either remove B frame support (I think I-only is the fastest
for realtime stuff, as we don't care of bitrate, just speed. and P/B
requires I frames decoded and motion comp., so I-only is always the fastest
mode) or change api a bit, as it may return 0 or more frames at encode()

i suggest restricting this lib to I-frames only (maybe allowing P frames as
option) to get simplest API (frame reordering will cause lots of problems
with timestamps and a-v sync) and best speed (and worst bitrate, but who
cares).

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu