[MPlayer-dev-eng] MMS support in mplayer begun

Hetz Ben-Hamo hetz at kde.org
Sat Dec 8 12:50:14 CET 2001

> As for the initial connection for MMST, I'm having to send the 01
> command (as per the MMS specs from the SDP web site).   Once that is
> sent, I'm having to immediately read the server response back in.
So, I
> have to somehow parse the server's response to see if it was
successful.
> I do know in the server response, if the player version is too low,
> there will be an URL to download the appropriate win32 DLLs. Should
> asf_mmst_streaming_start() just return -1 if that does happen?
Afaik,

MPLAYER 6.4.09.1120 is the latest one (I'm on my brother's Win XP
machine and thats what it shows if I run "mplayer2") - so it's safe to
return this version number.

> there is no mechanism to automatically install win32 codecs, no?

On WMP 6.4/7.0/7.1/8.0 its always accessing codecs.microsoft.com port
80 to download the codec from there (like an ActiveX) and install it.
You can bypass it by going directly to the site above, download the
codec, unzip it, and register it to mplayer's fake registry.

If you want to do a simple test then do this: checkout a CVS snapshot
of wine, and download Windows Media 6.4 from MS web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmedia/ and select the 6.4. Install it
on wine with --winver win98 and run Ethereal to see whats its doing.
Try to access most of the direct .asx links in windowsmedia.com to see
where he's getting the codecs (installing codecs is not yet supported
on wine CVS).

Hetz Ben Hamo
hetz at kde.org