[MPlayer-dev-eng] MMS support in mplayer begun

Derek J Witt djw at flinthills.com
Fri Dec 7 04:43:25 CET 2001

Yeah, I am using YAAN2's source code as a reference as well as that DOC
file on the SDP website.

No, I haven't looked at the patches.txt file yet. I couldn't find the
file for some reason yesterday.

Yeah, I do know about the MMS(t/u) streaming being no better than HTTP
streaming.  This is, too, my own quick dirty hack. I'll look at the
patches.txt to get that working correctly. ;-)

Bertrand Baudet wrote:

> On Thursday 06 December 2001 01:21 am, you wrote:
> > Hi, all. I have started on MMS support in mplayer.  I have it at least
> > connecting to TCP MMS streams.  I have included the patch. For some
> > reason, if I try using "cvs rdiff 120601 main", I keep getting a whole
> > messful of parsed_root_directory errors. So,  I  was only able to run
> > "cvs diff -NR" to get a file. I had to edit the file to get a proper
> > patch file. But, it didn't include the new file I put in.
>
> Have you RTFM: mplayer/DOCS/tech/patches.txt ?
>
> > So, I have included both the patch and the new file.  I do have my test
> > mms stream being connected.  I do send it the correct header. I have yet
> > to get it to start the actual data packets. But, it should not affect
> > anything else in mplayer. Let me know what you think.
>
> I'm not sure if I will be able to have a look a this before the week-end.
> I had a quick glance at the patch and I have several comment at the first
> look:
> - First of all, are you award that even if you do the mms(t/u) implementation,
>   that will not work better than the current HTTP streaming implementation?
>   The network streaming part is working fine AFAIK. To make the ASF
>   streaming work properly either with HTTP(from WMS) or with MMS, the
>   ASF core code and maybe other source code in libmpdemux need to be
>   changed/fixed. I'm still investigation that. I have some ideas on what's
>   going on. I wanna check this first try to make a dirty hack to see if it
>   can make the streaming work better.
> - Have you read this: http://freespace.virgin.net/sdpman.sdp/ ?
>   Especially the document that the guy wrote?
>   http://freespace.virgin.net/sdpman.sdp/MMSprotocol.doc
>   I had a glance at it yesterday night, and it look interesting, it give
>   some background on ASF streaming, and it try to explains how MMS(T/U)
>   works.
> - I don't really like the MMSC_* definition in mmst.h, we usually do that
>  when we first reversed the protocol and we know nothing about it. But once
>  we start knowing more about the fields involved, we have to make the proper
>  structures. It makes the code easier to read and debug. And it will be much
>  more easier after that to make it endian independant.
>  Please have a look at the SDP doc above and try to see if you can make some
>  structures out of this. Hopefully after that you can remove a lot of the
>  unused helper functions.
>
> That it for now, I didn't try to apply to patch yet, so I will give you some
> other feed back after I did it.
> Like I said, I may not be able to test the patch before the week end, so if
> you change it and if you make some clean up, please send the new patch so
> I can have a look at this this week end.
>
> Bertrand

**  Derek J Witt                                              **
*   Email: mailto:djw at flinthills.com                           *
*   Home Page: http://www.flinthills.com/~djw/                 *
*** "...and on the eighth day, God met Bill Gates." - Unknown **