[MPlayer-dev-eng] pl_surround - Dolby Surround decoder - OK to commit?

Stephen Davies steve at daviesfam.org
Mon Dec 3 15:00:30 CET 2001

Hi,

I've written an audio plugin to do surround decoding.  It will decode
stereo pairs containing matrixed surround sound - eg Dolby Surround, Dolby
ProLogic and ProLogic II compatible files.

This implements a basic Surround decoder, without the low pass filter for
the rear channels.  I plan to extend it to make it more Pro
Logic-like.  But it seems to work quite well as it is.

Many video files have sound in this format; its also used in TV
broadcasts.

Even ordinary stereo pairs usually produce a listenable surround effect.

The effect is enabled using "-aop surround".  Output is 4-channel; you'll
need a card that supports that, and that is correctly setup - see my notes
in codecs.html or to the list about the SBLive, for instance.

I'll commit the code later today unless there are any objections?

Once its in I'd be pleased to have some feedback,

Steve