[Mplayer-dev-eng] Re: [Mplayer-cvslog] CVS: main/libao2 ao_null.c,1.3,1.4

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Aug 30 12:53:01 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > -    return 1;
> > +    return 0;
> >  }
> >
> >  // close audio device
>
> Is the above patch intended to fix the '-ao null -benchmark' Problems?
>
> By failing the audio init for the 'null' audio device, mplayer runs
> more or less in same mode as '-noaudio' mode, and that produces better
> benchmark results.
Yes, It will force disabling audio (same effect as -nosound).

As video is synced to audio, it will not work with such ao drivers like
NULL and PCM. It can't work, as these drivers has no timer...
(It was planned to use system timer, but it was not implemented yet)

The only way to get -ao null working, is forcing -nosound.
Most people uses -ao null to disable audio, as they didn't find the -nosound
option.

> My idea for the '-ao null -benchmark' fix is to always skip the usec_sleep
> for A-V sync, when we run in benchmark mode.
It won't work. ao null will always report "gimme more audio!" and it
will result video buffer overflow soon.

Until someone implements system timer stuff to mplayer.c audio code
(like -alsa option was in early versions), audio drivers without
timing information will fail.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu