Re^4: [Mplayer-dev-eng] more on IFO

Juergen Keil jk at tools.de
Mon Aug 20 12:02:09 CEST 2001

> My next question: how portable is it? Authors said it's portable, but
> I want to hear from *BSD, solaris (x86&sparc), alpha etc developers/users too.

It seems to work on solaris sparc & solaris x86, more or less.

o It compiles without a problem on solaris sparc.

o On solaris x86, there's a small compile problem with an
  "#include <byteswap.h>",  which is not available on solaris.  We need some
  configure magic & at least some portable C version of the bswap_XX() macros.
  (mplayer already includes these).

o Sometimes there's a core dump from dvdread/ifo_read.c, function
  ifoFree_PGCI_UT.  The function needs a check, if "ifofile->pgci_ut" is a
  NULL pointer.  In that case, nothing needs to be freed.

o The CSS auth part determines the device to be used for CSS authentication by
  scanning the /etc/mnttab, given a pathname for a mounted DVD.  Problem is that
  this gives us a block device on solaris, but the CSS code needs the character
  device for sending the CSS auth commands/ioctls.

o It would be nice if the code that determines the DVD device from a pathname
  on a DVD would handle symbolic links,  so that standard solaris volume manager
  pathnames can be used, like /cdrom/cdrom0 (a symbolic link pointing to
  /cdrom/$vollabel where $vollabel is some name extracted from the media)

I'll probably check next, if they have something like development snapshots /
CVS versions for libdvdread (maybe some of these issues are already fixed).

Otherwise I'm going to report the problems (+ suggested fixes) to the authors
or libdvdread.

Jürgen Keil          		jk at tools.de
Tools GmbH			+49 (228) 9858011