[Mplayer-dev-eng] Rescaling using a G400

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Aug 17 13:42:18 CEST 2001

Hi,

> 	I would like to know if it is possible to rescale a frame
> using mga_vid (or syncfb or xvideo) using the hardware of the G400 and
> then get the rescaled frame back to userspace memory, I'm thinking
> of enconding mpeg2 into divx, using no scaling I get about 10 fps on
> a dual PII450, but if I scale it falls to around 4fps or even 2fps if
> I rescale both directions. I'm using transcode that seems to use
> fast rescaling routines (you can only rescale by reducing height or
> width by multiples of 32).
>
> 	Any idea?
forget it.
it is not rescaled in memory. it is not rescaled at all :)
it's called overlay :)
i mean the rescaled image is not stored to memory, it directly goes to
video card output:
  colorkey(framebuffer,overlay)->DAC->CRTC->monitor

so it scales pixels on-the-fly...
you can't get it back.

maybe you could use the texture engine, it scales into the video
memory (anyway, reading back from video mem take more time than
scale in sw) but it supports RGB only.
and it's too hard to program (needs agp/dma stuff etc, see DRI driver)

> PS: I know this is not the better forum to ask this, but it seems that
> A'rpi really know how to rock a Matrox :-)
:)

btw, RTFM ftp://mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/doc/G*00-doc.pdf

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu