[Mplayer-dev-eng] Hardware AC3 patch

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Aug 15 20:47:54 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > 2.4.x is new enough if you want multimedia under linux...
> > at least if you have p2/celeron or better cpu...
> >
> > 2.2.x is designed for 386-p1 systems, can't get usage of
> > stuff like SSE and direct rendering...
>
> Don't true in this form :)
> DRI presents in 2.2.19.
Ok, I didn't know.

> 2.2.19 is more stable and over a hunderd of security holes were corrected which
> was found with varous security tools while 2.4.x hasn't been audited yet ...
nobody talked about security here... just count how many buffer overflow is
in mplayer :)  it won't fit in 32 bits :)

> VM of 2.4.x is nice but uncompleted, and even kernel developers says that
> 2.4.x probably never will be stable enough in this area since major modification
> will be issued only in 2.5.x.
I've never had any problem with VM or memory stuff. Btw I don't have swap
at all, who needs it with 256MB ram, and ram is very cheap now...

> New features are usually backported into 2.2.x too ...
What about SSE? I think that saving/restoring SSE registers in task switch
isn't so hard thing to backport... but it's still broken in 2.2.x
So users of P3 can't run 2.2.x with DLL codecs, as DLLs have built-in cpu
detection, and will use SSE even if kernel doesn't support it...

> AND EVEN 2.2.x hasn't got perfect VM! (but much better fine tuned than
and even me hasn't got perfect VM :)
but it doesn't matter.

> 2.4.x's. not only swap, but VMA merging and so on). Alan Cox said that
> the last "lamost perfect" :)  VM was 2.0.x versions .... Now please don't
> be surprised that some guys maintanis 2.0.x kernel too, even nowdays!
They are surely mad. But some guys still uses amiga and code for c64, so
then maintaining 2.0.x isn't so mad...

> OK, this is not a flame list :) I'm using only 2.4.8 too :) for a while but
> there's something behind 2.2.19 too ...
yes. bugs :)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu