[Mplayer-dev-eng] Wanted features!

Per Wigren wigren at home.se
Mon Aug 13 21:35:46 CEST 2001

Hi!

When opening an ASF file in MS Mediaplayer or Avifile, it immediatly says how
long it is. Isn't there a way to scan the asf (without doing the
frame-decoding) to tell how long it is? (and maybe also average fps?)  What
about WMV-files? (I have no .wmvs here right now to check)

Thanks
Per Wigren

>> > btw how do you know how frame or seconds is in the movie?
>>
>> By first calculating the length of the movie. I so far only done this with
>> mpeg1 (filesize / kbyte/s).  I then noticed that ASF/DivX;-) movies
doesn't
>> display the same information in the output, so I'd REALLY like a -info
option
>> that shows all important information the same way no matter what
>> codec/fileformat is used... Otherwise it will be parsing-hell...
>Yes, i know. This is why i asked.
>Problem is simple: there is no way to get this info for all.
>For example, asf files even has not the FPS value in the headers, it can
>be estimated only while playing...
>kbit/s is printed for avi files, and file size is printed if you run mplayer
>with -v

>but for .asf i can't help. it's an 'endless' streaming format, has nothing
>like total time or fps or such things in the header.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team