[Mplayer-dev-eng] S/PDIF passthrough patch "nearly" finished... need

Peter Niemayer niemayer at isg.de
Tue Aug 7 19:03:14 CEST 2001

Arpi wrote:

> you should handle it in ao2_oss driver, based on value of format.
> and also handle it in PCM driver in dec_audio.c (calculating
> bytes/sec, and add extra header bytes)

ok.

> i think you doesn't understand the basic layout of mplayer.

Most probably not, I never claimed to do that yet. I just want to help adding
a tiny but desperately needed feature to mplayer, and of course I didn't
read the whole source or know what every function does.

If you can give me a reference to a description of the basic layout
I'll read it and maybe it enables me to write a patch that pleases you,
but if it's your precondition for anyone who wants to submit a patch
that one has complete insight in every aspect of the code, I cannot help.

> > I thought you liked the console, too... why are you against a minor
> > additional feature that is necessary to make it sensible to use
> > mplayer without X11?
>
> mplayer [options] file > /dev/null
>
> much simpler.

But not sufficient. One needs to clear the console screen
before playing, and also you'd at least need to redirect
stderr too to make sure some minor error messages won't clutter
the screen: "clear; mplayer [options] file >/dev/null 2>&1"
I think this cumbersomeness is reason enough for an oh-so-simple
switch...

Regards,

Peter Niemayer