[Mplayer-dev-eng] libavcodec speed

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Aug 3 22:12:58 CEST 2001

Hi,

> It's the Question that drives us, Christoph Lampert :
> > Finally, DLLs and DivX4beta is beaten by the open alternative...
> But don't forget that ffmpeg can be faster than OpenDiVX/YUY2 by being
> YV12..
> OpenDivX YV12 is still much faster.
Still...

but we optimized MC and DCT only in ffmpeg. And it isn't finished yet,
for skipped macroblocks further high-level optimizations can be done.

and the parser... it eats 30-40% cpu, it should be 10-15%... needs some
optimization (now it's full C code)

and ffmpeg works with all file, while divx4 is very buggy, and it's
linux-only. what about solaris, bsd, and non-x86 systems like c64 etc?

and i think that prefetch instructions can speedup things too.
Nick should check this.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu