[MPlayer-cygwin] [SPAM] Basic help needed...

Lostgallifreyan z.crow at btinternet.com
Tue May 12 04:18:48 CEST 2015

compn <tempn at mi.rr.com> wrote:
(12/05/2015 02:53)

>On Mon, 11 May 2015 18:19:15 +0100
>Lostgallifreyan <z.crow at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> some way to tell a Windows (or other) system to use the most basic
>> possible path to some specific output port? I tried ao=pcm:device=5,
>> but it wasn't having any. How would a Windows system be told to use
>> wave out?
>
>there is mplayer -ao help
>to get a list.

Thanks, that's useful, looks specific to the build and system it's used on. I see SDL (though that didn't work for me easiler, though I may have missed some detail). WIn32 is likely the one I'll use, though dsound is working for now. (It was the default in this case, I think).

>so mplayer -ao pcm
>or in config ao=pcm
>
>but pcm outputs a .wav file to your harddrive, i think what you want is
>ao=win32 or ao=dsound ...
>or even ao=win32,dsound to try both if one fails.

Actually the PCM one IS extremely useful! It's what I was after when I started looking at Mplayer yesterday, before I got lost in the immards. Some way to extract audio from some FLV files, I found some crowd noises useful to an electronic music project, so this extract-to-wav is exactly what I'll need. (The thing that will keep me trying to use Mplayer may not be that though, but the ability to play FLV files at all! I was using a 'Sothink FLVplayer' before, and it had serious trouble playing them in a little window, makign my wonder if my system was inadequate somehow despite allegedly havign hardware video capabilities. Mplayer can play them fullscreen, and make them look good doing it. For all its irritants, that alone is extremely convincing, hence my concern to get this right. If I'm going to stick with it, I want to make myself comfortable. :)