[MPlayer-cygwin] Default OSD font

John Brown johnbrown_105 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 29 16:16:18 CET 2010

On  Wed, December 29, 2010 14:56:10 GMT,  Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> On 26 dec 2010, at 17:09, John Brown <johnbrown_105 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > MPlayer shows the OSD even though I have not set up subfont.ttf.
> > According to 'mplayer -v',
> > get_path('fonts') -> 'C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/johnbrown105/mplayer/fonts'
> > (right now I am in a MSYS shell so this path corresponds to $HOME/
> > mplayer/fonts, but it does not matter where I am.) This folder does not even
> > exist.
> >
> > My compile prefix is c:/mingw/local. $PREFIX/etc/mplayer/ is empty.
> > $PREFIX/bin/mplayer/ exists but contains only config. $PREFIX/share
> > does not have an mplayer folder.
> >
> > How does MPlayer select a font when it has not been told which font
> > to use?

> You probably compiled MPlayer with fontconfig support, in which case it uses
> whatever fontconfig chooses...

Yes, I compiled MPlayer with fontconfig support. So you are saying that
subfont.ttf
is no longer strictly necessary, but If I provide one then MPlayer will use it?

I compiled MPlayer recently for the first time in several months (probably over

year.), so I expect that some things must have changed. I have always compiled
MPlayer with fontconfig support, but in the past, fontconfig or no fontconfig,
MPlayer would look for subfont.ttf and would not display the timer if it did not
find it,
unless I specified -fontconfig -font <my-favourite-font>.

Regards,
Alias John Brown.