[MPlayer-cygwin] Compiling mplayer on Cygwin

Henry defsyn at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 20:35:37 CET 2010

> I am new in that list and my question has been asked i guess loads of
> times.
>
> How do I compile Mplayer from SVN with current versions of cygwin?
>
> Around 1-2 years ago i just had to type:
> ./configure
> make
>
> to build mplayer.
>
> I would be very happy if someone could show me how to do it right.
>
> Several methods of compiling mplayer on cygwin are possible. What's right
is really subjective.

If it's failing, you might try changing the compiler.Sometimes downgrading
the gcc to a 3.xx version does the trick.
I believe the base cygwin system is built with the 3.xx gcc and sometimes
the more complicated projects will
not compile with the newer gcc 4.xx compiler that is set up as the default
compiler.

You should find that gcc is just a symbolic link to gcc-4.3 exe or something
like that.
The same should be true for g++.

if you'll run the following at the prompt, you should see some options for
setting the host compiler
to a compiler of your choice:

   ./configure --help | grep host

You should see someting like the follow ing

*--host-cc=COMPILER     C compiler for tools needed while building [gcc]*

Your cygwin install,if it's a complete install, should have a gcc-3.xx. So
just do the following in the source directory:

*make distclean

./configure --host-cc-gcc-3.xx.exe --enable-static

make
*

You'll have to look in you /bin directories to see which versions of gcc are
available.
Using the --enable-static option is a standard recommendation when building
mplayer on the Windows platform.
I usually add --enable-menu and perhaps --enable-gui, if I want to build a
gui interface.