[MPlayer-cygwin] Cygwin or msys or linux?

Frank Aurich fa859178 at inf.tu-dresden.de
Fri Dec 21 18:20:00 CET 2007

kev c wrote:
> Which is the easiest way to build mplayer for mingw32.
> How are the official releases done?

I've been compiling Mplayer on MingW32 for quite a while now.
The initial set up probably takes a while, you have to download several
packages, libraries you need etc.
But all that is a one-time deal, once it's done compiling every now and then is
quite easy.
You should have no problems if you're somewhat familiar with linux console.

Two starting points:

1. the original how-to, which may be a bit outdated, but still features the
basic set up instructions for MingW:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/contrib/win32/MPlayer-MinGW-Howto.txt

2. Gianluigi Tiesi's project page: http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php

There you'll find precompiled versions of Mplayer as well as libraries necessary
for MingW compilation.

Hope this helps,

Frank