[MPlayer-cygwin] How to get a mplayer with fontconfig?

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 5 10:19:08 CET 2007

RVM wrote:

> I finally found out what was going on. I realized that if I run mplayer inside
> the msys console then it worked, fontconfig included. So the problem was that
> outside msys it couldn't find /etc/fonts/font.conf and so there were no fonts
> and mplayer crashed (anyway I think this is a bug, it shouldn't crash, just
> display a warning on the console and go on without fonts).
>
> Then I made it work too outside msys, just creating a etc/fonts subdir in the
> same folder where mplayer was installed, and copying the font.conf.
>
> With the cygwin build this didn't work, it still kept reading
> its /etc/fonts/font.conf, so I think that build wouldn't work if the user
> doesn't have installed cygwin.

I am just remembering that I experienced this problem some time ago. You
can search the archives for posts with the subject "zlib and
fontconfig". To fix it, I made a change in the source of fontconfig
(2.2.3 at the time), but I cannot remember exactly what I did. Whatever
it was, I am sure that I am not doing it now. I configured with my
usual command line:

CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib ./configure --enable-static
--disable-shared --prefix=/usr/local> BUGREPORT/configure.txt 2>&1

On my system, outside of MSYS, I can also set the environment variable
FONTCONFIG_FILE= c:\msys\local\etc\fonts\fonts.conf. If I set it to
something else, it crashes. It works without the variable.
My last post in the thread that I mentioned that I had to leave out "C:",
but I don't have to do that now. C:\ and C:/ both work.

You can try this with the Cygwin build. You may have to enter the path in
various ways: c:\mingw, c:/mingw, c:\\mingw, /mingw (assuming that
MinGW and MPlayer are on the same drive) , etc.