[MPlayer-cygwin] How to get a mplayer with fontconfig?

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 1 18:18:46 CET 2007

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 17:21:07 +0100, RVM wrote:

> El Sábado, 1 de Diciembre de 2007 04:41, John Brown escribió:
>> Please see the following:
>>> On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 15:42:39 +0300, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
>>>
>>> John Brown writes:
>>>
>>> If somebody wants to build GLib and pkg-config from scratch on Win32,
>>> the easiet way aroung the circular dependency is to just remove the
>>> checks for pkg-config from GLib's configure.in, as they aren't really
>>> needed when building GLib.
>
> I managed to compile glib and pkg-config (it took me hours, not only I had to
> modify the configure but also a *.c file) and then I realized that in fact
> they weren't needed by fontconfig, it really wanted libexpat.
>
> Then I had problems to compile freetype2 and fontconfig in a way they were
> recognized by the mplayer configure. At the end I achieved, but it doesn't
> work, when a subtitle is about to appear mplayer crashes:

I don't have any subtitle files, so I can't try it myself.

Does fontconfig work for you otherwise? If you type fc-list, do you get a list of
fonts installed on your system? It may take a little while the first time, while it
builds the font cache, but the next time, it will print the list immediately.

Next, don't try to play your subtitles, but instead:

mplayer -fontconfig -font "Courier New" x11.avi.

Is your On Screen Display in Courier New?

If both tests were successful, then fontconfig and freetype2 are OK
and you have another problem.

You did not post your command line, so I am guessing that you did not run
'mplayer -v ...'. Also, you should follow the instruction is the message that
told you about the crash.

[Cut]

> C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\arialbd.ttf doesn't look like a bitmap font description,
> ignoring.
> Cannot load bitmap font: C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\arialbd.ttf
>
> Playing C:/Documents and Settings/ricardo/Mis documentos/Videos/3x11.avi.

[Cut]

> SUB: Detected subtitle file format: subviewer
> SUB: Read 643 subtitles.
> ID_FILE_SUB_ID=0
> ID_FILE_SUB_FILENAME=C:/Documents and Settings/ricardo/Mis
> documentos/Videos/3x11.srt
> SUB: Added subtitle file (1): C:/Documents and Settings/ricardo/Mis
> documentos/Videos/3x11.srt

[Various ID_XXX deleted]

> [ass] auto-open
> Opening video filter: [screenshot]
> Opening video filter: [scale]
> [ass] Init
> [ass] Updating font cache.

[Irrelevant detail (I hope) deleted]

> Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
> [ass] PlayResX undefined, setting 511.

[MPlayer crash message cut]

> What's the config file fontconfig wants to load?

Fonts.conf. The location depends on your configure options. From the fontconfig
INSTALL file:

Fontconfig is built with the traditional configure script:

        $ ./configure --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man

fonts.conf would be created in /etc/fonts.

> MPlayer compiled this way:
> ./configure --enable-runtime-cpudetection --codecsdir=codecs
>
> fontconfig:
> ./configure --prefix=j:/mingw

In your case, it would be in j:/mingw/etc/fonts. On my system it is in
/usr/local/etc/fonts, which coreponds to C:\MSYS\local\etc\fonts