[MPlayer-cygwin] Problems while using "ao=dsound" and "ao=win32"

Victor Farias nk21507 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 13 22:59:17 CEST 2006

Just a little update about the "ao=win32" problem with 5.1 audio.

It seems MPlayer was never working correctly using this output and the
"channels=6" command (I tried testing old win32 releases and none of them
worked).

However, there is a problem when playing 5.1 Vorbis files, because MPlayer
will try to use the six channels output even if I did not use the
"channels=6" command. Something like:

mplayer -ao win32 -channels 6 <5.1 vorbis file> -> Slow playback as reported
previously.

mplayer -ao win32 <5.1 vorbis file> -> Slow playback as reported previously.

When playing another 5.1 audio format (for example AC3 or AAC) the behavior
is different. Something like:

mplayer -ao win32 -channels 6 <5.1 ac3/aac file> -> Slow playback as
reported previously.

mplayer -ao win32 <5.1 ac3/aac file> -> Correct playback.

Then I tried "MPlayer-mingw32-1.0pre7" to try to reproduce the "5.1 Vorbis
files" problem. There was no problem, and everything worked correctly.
Something like:

mplayer -ao win32 -channels 6 <5.1 vorbis file> -> Slow playback as reported
previously.

mplayer -ao win32 <5.1 vorbis file> -> Correct playback.

... After an "insane" search, I was able to find the commit that changed the
behavior after "MPlayer-mingw32-1.0pre7". It was SVN r15242.

Link to SVN r15242:

http://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk/mplayer.c?r1=15162&r2=15242

I reverted that commit and then I compiled MPlayer (latest SVN) and MPlayer
was working just like "MPlayer-mingw32-1.0pre7".

I do not know what is different between 5.1 Vorbis audio and 5.1 AC3/AAC
audio that triggers this behavior, but it seems MPlayer will force
"channels=6" when playing 5.1 Vorbis (even when I use "channels=2" or I do
not use the "channels" command at all).

Byes :)

* Sorry for my poor english.

Yakusoku wa iranai.