[MPlayer-cygwin] Re: Mplayer on Vista

Frank Aurich fa859178 at inf.tu-dresden.de
Sat Oct 28 14:33:01 CEST 2006

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 04:57:18AM +0200, Frank Aurich wrote:
>> This means all the transparency/translucency is gone, but even worse is the
>> black-out of the display when starting and ending a movie.
>>
>> The problem lies within vo_directx, but I'm afraid I don't really know
>> where to
>> look specifically. I haven't found much information from MS yet on what
>> causes
>> the switch to Vista Basic.
>
> The overlay hardware can't possibly work in that environment unless your
> graphics drivers emulate it via 3D hardware (Xgl on linux uses that
> approach, though it has its own problems).
> Tried just using -vo gl (or -vo gl:yuv=2 for better speed)?
>
> Greetings,
> Reimar Döffinger

Yes, I figured it'd be a problem with the overlay approach. I took a look at the
source code of Media Player Classic, it uses D3D to display the video image.
Here, the switch to Vista Basic does not occur.

Unfortunately, ATi currently doesn't provide OpenGL drivers for Windows Vista,
so I couldn't test that.
I guess I'll have to wait for those drivers then ;)

Frank