[MPlayer-cygwin] Fast CoreAVC DShow H264 decoder - Need help

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 17 04:58:49 CET 2006

>I took away the ';' at the beginnig of the guid-line.
>So when I try playback with the new setup, i get a differnt error.

>Forced video codec: coreavc
>Opening video decoder: [dshow] DirectShow video codecs
>ERROR: Could not open required DirectShow codec CoreAVCDecoder.ax.
>Warning: DS_Filter() could not open DirectShow DLL. (DLL=CoreAVCDecoder.ax,
>r=0x51a3e10)
>Failed to create DirectShow filter
>I did not find this code in /mingw/include/winerror.

Is that GUID the actual GUID in the Windows Registry that corresponds to
your .ax file? If not, then it will not work.

>But without This->m_iHanlde being null, em never becomes the string
>"could not open DirectShow DLL" that is printed at the end of the for-loop?

Based on the code fragment in your post, I would agree with you that if em
== "could not open DirectShow DLL", then LoadLibrary failed. This also means
that the result variable is uninitialized, so that it is neither a Windows
error nor a CoreAVCDecoder error. Please note that I have not looked at the
source for myself. I am much too lazy for that.

LoadLibrary("CoreAVCDecoder.ax") will look in several places for Core
AVCDecoder.ax: the directory that contains the calling program the current
directory, the Windows directory, the Windows System directory, the %PATH%,
etc. (listed in no particular order). We would not, therefore, expect
LoadLibrary to fail for a codec, which would normally be in the System
directory

So I would try adding the codecs directory to %PATH%. But remember, you have
to use the right GUID.

Of course, even if a DLL is in the LoadLibrary search path, it may not be
able to be loaded for other reasons.  If DLL initialization fails, then
LoadLibrary will also fail. For example, a file that the DLL depends on may
be missing.

This may be a basic question, but have you actually tried this codec in
Windows Media Player and confirmed that it is correctly installed?