[MPlayer-cygwin] Windows Building w/DJGPP

Erik Lunchpail erik_27can at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 17 06:10:27 CEST 2006

--- Chad Kline <i18rabbit at hotmail.com> wrote:

> i posted previously about not being able to play WMV? files
> with the pre-compiled mplayer on the official website.
> i received no responses, so ...

I believe there are problems with WMV-9 currently in ALL platforms.
Please bear in mind that closed source codecs require a lot more time
and effort in reverse engineering, so you may not see immediate or even
quick support in that regard. I've also noticed major seeking problems
with many .wmv files, again, most likely due to the previous fact.
There are open-source alternatives to many windows codecs, like
quicktime and realmedia, so obviously they integrate much faster.
Getting source out M$ is like trying to squeeze blood from a stone...it
just "ain't" happening. I'm sorry you didn't a response, nor am I sure
of the reason (wrong list?) but i'm glad you posted here.

> 1. i have DJGPP stuff installed - can mplayer be built well
> with that?  i am not familiar with "cygwin" - i mostly use
> freebsd 4.x and netbsd, but am stuck with Windows98
> for now ...  i think the "./configure" stuff will break,
> so i wonder if there is a pre-generated Makefile that
> can be customized?

I'm reaching here, but i'm going to say yes. I'm pretty positive djgpp
and as well lcc-win32, are C99 compliant, however they don't follow GNU
autoconf/automake build systems, so it may require hand editing quite
possibly a few hundred line Makefile, and doing some header juggling
within the mplayer cource code. It just may be worth the time to write
such a Makefile if it's going to produce a resource friendly, and
stable binary though. This is something I was curious about myself, so
I would be *very* interested in seeing some benchmarks if you can make
it work, but again, you may have some syntax hacking to do.

> 2. will a new mplayer be compiled soon for Windows
> that will play WMV? files?  i really don't want to install
> MS stuff or non-unix stuff to play them.

There are a few sites listed on the homepage under related projects
that host mingw/cygwin builds of more recent snapshots of mplayer, just
keep in mind the aforementioned problems, they're still a W.I.P.

Regards,
Erik