[MPlayer-cygwin] [BUGREPORT] Real Media crash in excuciatingdetail

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 17 01:05:53 CEST 2006

>On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 17:05:40 +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>
>On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 02:52:49AM -0400, John Brown wrote:
> >
> > >From: Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>
> > >Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 16:19:26 +0200

>about 2
> > >
> > >It does not crash MPlayer on Linux/PPC.
> >
> > As expected. I understand that on Windows, MPlayer uses RealPlayer DLLs,
> > while the Linux version has open-source RealPlayer codecs. Is there a
> > particular reason why those codecs cannot be ported to Windows?
>
>No.  There are four different kinds of RealVideo, RV10-RV40, there is a
>free decoder for RV10 and RV20 only.  MPlayer uses binary codecs on
>Windows and Linux for the others.
>
>Diego

I believe my file was RV40. In any case, according to the Dr. Mingw stack
trace, the error occurred in an MPlayer source file. So I am hoping that
whatever the codec returned can be handled gracefully by MPlayer, since
Media Player Classic played it without a problem. I am also hoping that if
this can be fixed, then I will no longer suffer from the occasional (very
infrequent) RealMedia crashes that I endure now.

Are you a developer? Since you cannot reproduce the crash, does the Dr.
Mingw stack trace mean anything to you? I thnk the access violation may have
been caused by an array index out-of-bounds.

If I can find my sample again, I will try it on some other Windows computers
when I return to work on Tuesday.