[MPlayer-cygwin] Winvidix 3DLabs GLINT R3/Permedia3 driver trying to use fullscreen. NOVIRUS

Daniel Joensson nightrun at hotpop.com
Tue Sep 27 22:17:09 CEST 2005

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:49:19 +0200, Sascha Sommer
<saschasommer at freenet.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sunday 25 September 2005 16:36, Daniel Joensson wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I just got this kinda old HP computer that I was thinking of kinda
>> having
>> as a media station using mplayer. Also thinking of trying out winvidix
>> at
>> the same time so I installed dhahelper and tried it a bit and it works
>> okay. However there are some issues with my settings or the card or
>> driver. Havnt got a clue which though I kinda both hope and guess that
>> the
>> error is with my settings somewhere.
>>       First issue is that when going to fullscreen (either from
>> commandline
>> -fs or pressing buttons from input.conf) the screen goes blank. It's
>> completely black. The console output says nothing of any errors and
>> sound
>> continues just like normal.
>
> Looks like some colorkey issue. Please try to start MPlayer with the
> -nocolorkey option.

I have tried with the -nocolorkey but the result is the same.

>>       Second issue is that after having played a file using winvidix all
>> buttons in win becomes gray areas. Like the close, minimize and maximize
>> buttons on all windows and also the scrolling buttons in some programs
>> though not all (seems kinda random which ones :/).
>
> Yep. That is because the driver is overwritting some random video memory.
> You can't tell the windows driver to not use this part of the video ram.
> One of the issues why it is recommended to stay with the gl and directx
> vos on
> windows.
>
>>       Third issue is probably just because of old computer or something
>> but
>> moving the overlay window around is really slow and the video kinda
>> laggs
>> while doing it (as opposed to directx where the video pause while
>> dragging
>> this one actually tries to continue playback). It's kinda like when
>> there
>> simply isnt enough cpu to handle it but cpuload never goes above even
>> 40%
>> so it seems kinda strange :/
>>

> No idea about this one.
>
>> Is there anything I can do about any of these issues? I've tried forcing
>> the other winvidix subdrivers but none of them work. Could it be the
>> card
>> is simply broken? I get distored picture when trying to use -vo directx
>> when the playwindow is too large though no longer as soon as I switch to
>> fullscreen and not if I use -vo directx:noaccel.
>
> What kind of distortion? It is more likely that there is a bug in vo
> directx.

Hm. Kinda hard to describe for me as english is not my native
language so kinda hard to express myself perhaps, But the
distortion seems like the horizontal sync is wrong making the
picture as if it's like, dragged across to the other side and
then again and again all over.
I've tried the gl vo and that actually works like it should
but performance on the gl vo is really crappy and instanly
maxes my cpu..  Though I guess that is to prefer with the
other choices I have right now though.

> Sascha

Daniel Joensson