[MPlayer-cygwin] Winvidix Unichrome "unable to enable directio" (binary packages)

Sascha Sommer saschasommer at freenet.de
Sat Sep 3 13:51:58 CEST 2005

On Friday 02 September 2005 23:19, hsim at gmx.li wrote:
> Dear MPlayer-Cygwin list,
>
> I'm trying to get Winvidix to work on my box.
>
> I'm using the binary Windows CVS version available for download on the
> website (MPlayer-mingw32-dev-CVS-050626.zip) and I also tried with the
> older 1.0pre7 version. I'm afraid that I haven't yet understood how to
> compile it myself from the latest sources.

There is a howto. Check the mailing list archives. An updated version
of the howto has recently been posted here.

> My computer is a VIA C3 with CLE266 S3/Unichrome onboard graphics chipset
> (VT8623).
>
> The Operating system is Windows XP Service Pack 2 German locale.
>
> The display settings in Windows are 1280x1024 with a colour depth of 24
> planes ("32 Bit").
>
> The error message is as follows:
>
>  [unichrome] Found chip: VT8623 [CLE266 AGP]
>  vidixlib: C:/mplayer/mplayer/vidix/unichrome_vid.so probed o'k
>  vidixlib: will use C:/mplayer/mplayer/vidix/unichrome_vid.so driver
>  vidixlib: Attempt to initialize driver at: 10001960
>  unable to enable directio please install dhahelper.sys
>
> However, I did run dhasetup.exe install as the instructions demand.
>
> The driver is also getting loaded, at least ntblog file says so, and if it
> is not installed, mplayer doesn't even "find the chip".
>
> I hope someone can give me some instructions as to what to try or possibly
> how to resolve this problem.

I'm sorry but the kernel driver that allows MPlayer to access the hardware
directly can enable app io only once. It seems like app io gets enabled
during pci scan already.
The question is why you want to use vidix. It is still considered
experimental.
Most of the time the gl vos and directx should be the fastest option and
especially on windows, where we don't know what the vendor drivers are doing
at all, driver conflicts might occure.

Regards