[MPlayer-cygwin] mpeg4 with MPlayer v1.0pre7 source

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Tue Jun 21 01:24:48 CEST 2005

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 11:55:39PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 02:30:48PM -0700, Asonganyi Defang Ngunyi wrote:
> >
> > I seem not to have read a modification of the manual well but why is it that a DVD rip of any movie or the any encoding done with mencoder of  MPlayer v1.0pre7 with the following command
> > "mencoder dvd://1 -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=900  -o file.avi" for example  cannot be played by DIVX DECODERS with OTHER PLAYERS or with PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF MPLAYER??
> >
> > I had thought that mpeg4 generates a Divx movie. Has that changed with MPlayer v1.0pre7 source???
>
> We need to put this in the FAQ somewhere...  Any volunteers? ;)
>
> FFmpeg changed the default fourcc for MPEG-4 to FMP4.  I think the
> option to control this is -ffourcc.

Yes, I tend to use -ffourcc xvid in many of my scripts.  By the way, I
do not understand this change in lavc.  It's been a big pain for me,
especially when an old MPlayer binary quits playing a file encoded with
a new MEncoder.  I'm not trying to flame.  I'm sure there's some reason
for it.  But it's never been explained to my satisfaction.

--Joey

--
"Indeed do many things come to pass."
  HBT; The Book of Predictions, Chap. 19