[MPlayer-cygwin] cdda and vcd options for mingw/cygwin

Erik Lunchpail erik_27can at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 23 04:50:14 CET 2005

Greetings all,

I was looking into a few options for adding cdda and
vcd support in mingw/cygwin and came up with a few
resources. Knowing that mplayer uses cdparanoia for
cdda, which unfortunately atm has no full win32 port,
I did however find a partial port in cdrip:
http://www.hennigbuam.de/georg/cdrip.html

This little prog has a fairly stripped mingw port of
cdparanoia (looks like the whole cdda_interface is
gone) and produces a libparanoia.a library, and has
the appropriate (albeit quite stripped as well)
cdda_paranoia.h and cdda_interface.h headers.

Secondly, it appears that libcdio CVS does have a
pretty full port of cdparanoia which does compile in
mingw with some very minor hacking. A month ago, Rocky
Bernstein (libcdio developer) posted a patch and
stream_vcdx.c patch against mplayer which ideally
would use libcdio for vcd playback, and eventually
cdda playback once it's stable. The thread is here:
http://itdp.fh-biergarten.de/mplayer-dev-eng/2004-12/msg00147.html

Unfortunately, I just can't get it to work under
mingw. libcdio and vcdimager both compiled with some
minor adjustments in mingw, as well as mplayer with
the above mentioned patches with no adjustments
needed.

I looked into trying to combine the above two to make
appropriate libraries and headers at least enough for
cd playback, and was able to at least get the headers
right enough that mplayer compiled with minimal
changes (mkdir has too many arguments in cdda.c,
remove 0755 from the function). But was unable to get
a proper library going.

Given that cdparanoia is almost completely
unmaintained nowadays, and i'm sure Rocky would love
to see a complete libcdio conversion into mplayer, it
might be one avenue to pursue. At the very least,
anyone who has experience with cdparanoia code and
mingw/cygwin may be able to piece together a working
port out of the two enough for windows cdda and/or vcd
support, but this is well beyond my capabilities.

Regards,
Erik