[MPlayer-cygwin] Using mplayer to save RTSP stream to a local file

Barry Kelly barry.j.kelly at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 10:56:49 CET 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:08:41 -0500, compn <tempn at twmi.rr.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:19:43 +0000
> Barry Kelly <barry.j.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:

> uhhhhh...

Bear in mind I have never run mplayer, nor have I downloaded it.

> -dumpstream works fine :)
>
> otherwise for live rtsp streams you can do some trickery
> mplayer rtsp://blah.mov -ao pcm:file=blah.wav -dumpvideo , or run dumpaudio and
> dumpvideo seperately, then combine later with any good video editor.
>
> unless i am misunderstanding what you want to do?

I'm trying to download video lectures for a course on ocw.mit.edu
(they're streamed from Akamai), so the streams aren't live, but they
are fairly long: 60+ hours. (I have a 2Mb connection here.) Should I
presume that -dumpvideo isn't going to slow down to the speed of the
video itself?

Thanks,

-- Barry