[MPlayer-cygwin] Distributable binaries for windows

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Wed Aug 10 18:47:47 CEST 2005

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 02:04:29PM +0100, Burrows, Ashley wrote:
> I need a version of mplayer/mencoder compiled with --enable-largefiles
> -- I'm using mencoder to transcode mpeg2 (.ty) streams from a series 1
> TiVo.... these files frequently reach sizes greater than 2Gb.
>
> Is there a distributed package with --enable-largefiles set?  If so,
> could someone point me in the direction of it...

http://armory.nicewarrior.org/projects/cygmp/
Mencoder included, newest package from Jan 2005.
I can send you a newer version in private if you are missing some
features you need.  This binary also has vstream client support compiled
in, so you can stream directly from you Tivo without copying the files
to your PC first.  Just try "mencoder tivo://hostname/fsid".

There are also a lot of other mplayer for windows packages out there,
you can get a full list from:
http://mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/projects.html#windows
I cannot say if any of those use the tivo vstream library, but if you
don't like my packages, there are plenty others you can try.  Sascha's
(first on that list) are generally met with high regard.

> If not, is there a howto or and documentation (or advice) anyone could
> give me about how to compile a distributable package for Windows? (I
> looked at http://www2.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/tech/binary-packaging.txt
> <http://www2.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/tech/binary-packaging.txt> , but
> it seems to be giving advice specific to Unix based OS's.)

If you install cygwin, get mplayer, libavcodec, libavformat, libavutils,
then just ./configure --enable-static && make.  What you will get will
still depend on cygwin1.dll, which can be a pain sometimes.  You could
also try ./configure --cc="gcc -mno-cygwin" --enable-static.  This will
compile using the mingw runtime, so you will have no dependance on
cygwin1.dll.  Some areas of MPlayer may behave differently between
cygwin and mingw, but you may not notice the difference.
Also, you can grab my package hosted at the URL above, take mencoder.exe
and re-distribute it.  Just give credit for the binary, mention the GPL
somewhere, and link to my site for the sources and full distributions.

> As a small aside, does anyone know why --enable-largefiles is not set
> by default?

For historical reasons, I presume.  Cygwin and mingw both used to be
very difficult platforms for compiling MPlayer.  They have both made
great strides since then.

--Joey

--
"The tide is turning... the enemy is suffering terrible losses..."
  --Gen. Custer