[MPlayer-cygwin] How to build mplayer/mencoder with cygwin static linked?

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Thu Apr 28 21:42:51 CEST 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 10:46:36AM -0400, Joseph Miller wrote:

> Xie Bo,
> You should build it for mingw.  Make sure that your Cygwin install has MinGW
> installed.  Then configure with:

This is WRONG.  You can build static for cygwin by using
 ./configure --enable-static

> ./configure --target=i586-MINGW32 -cc="gcc -mno-cygwin" --disable-vidix \
>   --disable-fastmemcpy --disable-x11 --disable-termcap

I disagree completely.  If you wanted to build a mingw version, you
wouldn't be running cygwin.  Just use --enable-static and then the
binary will depend only on cygwin1.dll.  If the cygwin dependance itself
is a problem, THEN you should be building in a mingw environment.

> make should generate the .exe that depends on mgwz.dll .  No need to do a make
> install, just copy the mencoder.exe, mplayer.exe, and mgwz.dll to the
> directoy that you want to run them out of.  As to whether or not you can
> statically link to mgwz.dll, I do not know.

If I understand correctly, mgwz.dll is a dynamic version of zlib, which
can be build in statically.  Building for mingw is NOT THE SAME as
building a static executable.

And please don't top-post.

--Joey

--
"The Hell Law says that Hell is reserved exclusively for them that believe
in it.  Further, the lowest Rung in Hell is reserved for them that believe