[MPlayer-cygwin] question about legality

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Sat Sep 25 16:24:46 CEST 2004

MyMplayer writes:
> I wrote a little simple GUI to mplayer in Builder. That's ok, but I also
> made a setup, which includes:
> - unpacked mplayer 1.05 binaries for windows
> - Arial - cp1250 fonts (I changed extension from .desc to .dsc)
>
> All I want to know: is it all legal? Or what I have to do to make it legal.
> Any suggestions will be welcome.

It's not hard.  Just read through the GPL in case you haven't yet.  If
you still have questions the GPL FAQ on the GNU site is a good
ressource.

In short: You have to provide sources along with your binaries.
Putting them up for download from the same place will suffice.

If you make any modifications to MPlayer it is considered good form to
channel them back to the original authors even if the license does not
force you to.  Just send us some patches.

Also, please send me a link to the GUI's homepage, I'll add it to our
projects page.  I collect MPlayer related projects there and this will
greatly increase the number of hits you get.

Will you release your code under GPL?  Maybe it's time to look harder
at some of the Windows GUIs that are floating around and make one
official.

Diego