[MPlayer-cygwin] Does mplayer support DxVA?

Chhaya, Harshal hchhaya at ti.com
Wed Sep 22 00:06:52 CEST 2004

Sascha,

Thanks for your reply.

> Not yet. Send a patch ;)

I was afraid of this. (-8
I don't know enough about DxVA to add it to mplayer.
But I am reading about it and trying to find out
what's involved in adding DxVA support to a s/w player.

The documentation is somewhat confusing - probably because
I have no experience working with video codecs and media
players. Most of the stuff I have read refers to adding
DxVA support in video drivers. I haven't yet found anything
that explains how to use that support. Still looking...

> It is probably not so easy to implement, maybe we can emulate
> xvmc a bit. Is there a good documentation available?

There is a document at
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/stream/DirectX_VA/default.mspx
but it is mainly about adding DxVA capabilities to video drivers.

The MSDN section at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/graphics/hh/graphics/dxvaguide_3
0c21a63-691d-4ada-b469-08790b3b6c29.xml.asp
(or http://tinyurl.com/5gbwc)
has a similar focus.

BTW, I found a discussion from Feb 2002 about this very topic
in the mplayer-dev-eng archives:
http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2002-February/005459.
html

> MPlayer does not support DxVA. Winvidix is another technique that
> accesses the video card directly. Winvidix is somewhat
> similar to directdraw.
> Most of the time it won't give you a performance improvement
> over directx.

Thanks for the clarification.

I will let y'all know if I find out how to add DxVA support
in mplayer.

Regards,
- Harshal