[MPlayer-cygwin] Does mplayer support DxVA?

Sascha Sommer saschasommer at freenet.de
Mon Sep 20 23:51:10 CEST 2004

On Monday 20 September 2004 19:43, Chhaya, Harshal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had posted a similar question to the mplayer-users
> group and figured that this might be a better place.
> Sorry for the duplication.
>
> I have been trying to find information on h/w assisted video
> decoding (mainly for HDTV playback) and found that some
> video cards support DxVA (DirectX Video Acceleration) that
> can help in video decoding. From what I have read, this is
> a pretty standard interface (i.e. it is not specific to
> any device) and supported by multiple video cards. And
> it helps in DVD playback too.

Not yet. Send a patch ;)
It is probably not so easy to implement, maybe we can emulate
xvmc a bit. Is there a good documentation available?

> I can't find any reference to DxVA in mplayer docs. Is
> winvidix the same as DxVA? Can mplayer use DxVA to off-load
> some decoding tasks to the video card if the video card
> supports it?

MPlayer does not support DxVA. Winvidix is another technique that
accesses the video card directly. Winvidix is somewhat similar to directdraw.
Most of the time it won't give you a performance improvement over directx.