[MPlayer-cygwin] Using mplayer with another app + problemswithstdin

Chhaya, Harshal hchhaya at ti.com
Thu Jul 22 16:21:56 CEST 2004

Joey,

> That's my port, actually.  Hi.

Hi Joey. And thanks for the port. It has been really, really
useful.

BTW, does it support the vidix stuff?

> I've been meaning to release a new one, but have had strange issues
> transitioning to mingw.  I'm thinking I might just stick with cygwin
> instead.

I don't know if it is the difference between mingw and cygwin, but
your port's ability to read a file from stdin is what I needed. If
it was because of cygwin, consider this a vote to stay with cygwin.

> > The stdin stuff works great on that release so looks like CygWin
> > is the way to go. However, the above version seems to have some
> > problems. Maybe it is a codec problem but the video playback had
> > some very noticeable block artifacts.
>
> Strange.  Can you send details?  I'd like to find/fix that if it's at
> all my fault.  Does the same file play well on other copies
> of MPlayer? If so, which ones?

If I play the file from the command line like 'mplayer file.mpg', no
problems. But if I pass it via stdin, 'mplayer - < file.mpg', the first
few seconds have very noticeable blocking.

I can't use the stdin with the default release so I really don't have
anything to compare.

My test file is pretty big (~47MB) but if you want it, let me know.

Thanks again for the port and for your help.

Regards,
- Harshal