[MPlayer-cygwin] [patch] add adapter selection to vo_directx(only vm)

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Mon Jan 26 21:07:27 CET 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 04:03:30PM +0100, Rune wrote:
> > On Sunday 25 January 2004 23:21, Rune wrote:
> > > This patch might of interest for people who use 2 or more
> > > adapters/monitors like me.
> > > With this patch you can now view movies on your secondary monitor.
> > > I needed this when my DVD-player was in for repairs (not a KISS =)

> > > The patch adds:
> > > - directx 7 support (you will need v7 or higher now)
> > > - adapter selection for vm mode
> > > - some cleanup of vo_directx.c
> > >
> > > To select an adapter:  -adapter <adapter number>

I have not tested your patch yet, just browsed it...

This doesn't have to do with your patch, exactly, but I was just
reminded of this segment of code.  Sorry if it's too off-topic.

-	//load direct draw DLL: based on videolans code
+	//load direct draw DLL: based on videolans code... not much left
 	hddraw_dll = LoadLibrary("DDRAW.DLL");

For this part, is there any good reason why we don't link against the
library instead of loading it?  If we compile in the directx vo, then
we want/have directx support.  So whoever compiles this doesn't need to
dynamically load ddraw.

If we have a situation of shipping binaries, then maybe a user might not
have the dll.  If we link against it, then the application won't start
without it.  But if we are shipping a directx binary, there probably
aren't any other vo's to use in the first place, so no loss.

The only thing I can think of is that if a user doesn't have the right
dll, then LoadLibrary gives us a chance to say "Hey, you don't have
DirectX" in a friendly way.  But for the sake of windows kids, we aren't
doing that in the first place.  If you need to be told to install
DirectX, then a text message on the console buried in a hundred other
lines won't help.

Am I missing something?

--Joey

--
"Of the seven dwarves, the only one who shaved was Dopey.
That should tell us something about the wisdom of shaving."