[MPlayer-cygwin] HDTV Tuner Card?

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Tue Aug 24 19:25:26 CEST 2004

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 01:07:49PM -0400, Matt Maher wrote:
> >>Appologies if this has been asked, but I haven't done any TV tuning with
> >>mplayer yet.  I was thinking of getting an HDTV tuner card for my PC,
> >>and was wondering if mplayer will be able to support it.  I'm thinking
> >>of getting the DVICO FusionHDTV 3.
> >>Link:
> >>http://www.dvico.com/products_mul_hd3.html
> >>
> >>Should this work fine?  If it will, then I plan on getting it very
> >>soon.  I just want to make sure it'll be compatable with the best media
> >>player available!!

> >MPlayer has no tv tuner support for windows at all.
> >Anything supported by video4linux should work under linux.
> >See tv:// syntax in the manpage.

> Damn, sorry about the question then.  You know, it's kinda hard to know
> what is and isn't supported by the Windows version when it's all
> included in the manpage document.  Wouldn't it be better to simply
> update the document as the feature set catches up to the Linux version,
> rather than include it to begin with and confuse new users?

The manpage is all-inclusive, the port is not.  If you want to create a
seperate manpage for each port, then feel free to step up and be the
maintainer.  However, most people don't have time for that.

This, by the way, is from the manpage:
     -tv <option1:option2:...> (TV only)
          This option tunes various properties of the TV capture module.
                [...]
            driver=<value>
              available: dummy, v4l, v4l2, bsdbt848

So the only available tv drivers are video4linux (1 and 2) and a bsd
driver for brooktree devices.  So you can use tv:// on windows if you
set driver to dummy.  You just won't see any real TV.  :)

You might look into writing a tv driver for windows using vfw api.
It's a planned feature for me some day, but I have no time to work
on it right now, as well as no hardware to test with.

--Joey

--
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn
is just to love and be loved in return." -- Darth Vader