[MPlayer-cygwin] directsound driver

Sascha Sommer saschasommer at freenet.de
Sat Aug 21 19:07:56 CEST 2004

> Sascha Sommer writes:
> > >
> > > This version works perfectly for me on some files, but on others
> > > playback is jerky and many frames are dropped on a >2GHz P4.  I'm not
> > > including any logs or samples since this should be very easy to
> > > reproduce.
> > >
> > > CPU usage appears to be higher with -ao dsound.
> > >

> > Is the audio ok in case of the frame dropping?
>
> No.
>
> > If you also get this with the attached version increase MIN_CHUNK_SIZE
>
> Yes, it happens with the attached version as well.  I increased
> MIN_CHUNK_SIZE to 32768, this helped.

Do you really need to go that high? Or is it just some random (same as
BUFFERSIZE) value?
4096 is definitly ok here. Tryed with many files and a dvd.

> > Also try if autosync 100 improves the framedropping.
>
> It helps.
>
> With both increased MIN_CHUNK_SIZE and -autosync 100 it works mostly,
> but there are still occasional jumps and a bit of framedropping.

I hope you are not playing mpeg1/2 videos with the "updated" libmpeg2.
It gives cherky video for me.
The sound is ok with the version. Even sync is almost 100% perfect (without
autosync). So maybe
the soundcard drivers are playing games with us again.
I would really be interested in more test.
Attached another version with some cleanup and seeking fix.
I will also upload a directsound.zip to releases/win32-beta in the next few
minutes. So people who do not compile themselves
can test it, too.