[MPlayer-cygwin] Re: Help! New user, no picture...

Antony Baxter antony_baxter at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 17 09:23:36 CEST 2004

>> I've just installed the latest version of mplayer
available from

ftp://ftp1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/win32-beta/ .
I am able to play
>> movies in full screen mode, but when I try and run
in windowed mode, I
>> just get a black window with no movie - sound still
plays fine. I *am*
>> able to get a proper movie if I disable my hardware
acceleration using
>> dxdiag.exe ; however using -vo directx:noaccel
doesn't work. I am also
>> able to get a picture (no frame around it though)
using -vo gl2.

>> I'm running Windows XP and have a Radeon 9800 Pro
128Mb graphics card. I
>> have just installed DirectX 9.0c (to play Doom :)
>
> This may be the culprit, or may not be.. Are you by
any chance also
> running sp2? Try a different version of the
catalysts.. I recommend
> the omega drivers, available at www.omegadrivers.net
. Other than
> that, check your overlay settings. It's a strong
possability that
> overlay is disabled for some reason.

Hello again,

Thanks for the reply. No, am still running SP1, and am
using the
Catalyst 4.9 Betas (
http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4547.html ). I
had a look at what I think are the overlay settings
though I'm not sure
I'm looking at the right thing... Right Click Desktop
-> Properties ->
Settings -> Advanced -> Overlay shows me Brightness,
Contrast, Gamma etc
Sliders, and a choice of Mode (I'm in Theatre mode so
video is also
displayed full screen on my TV) - no specific option
to enable/disable
Overlay.

Will give the Omega Drivers when I get home.

Thanks again,

Antony.