Fwd: Re[2]: [MPlayer-cygwin] directsound driver

Szecsi Gabor deje at miki.hu
Sun Aug 15 18:54:50 CEST 2004

SS> Well we need some kind of buffering otherwise the sound playback will always
SS> interrupt until we filled the buffer again. The code in ao win32 is manly the
SS> ao sdl code replaced with the native windows functions and 16 buffers seemed
SS> to work fine so I left this value. Videolan is multithreaded afair so maybe
SS> they don't need this tricky buffering.

They use 8 buffer ringbuffer code, so they need it also. Anyway to
implement this code we need multithreading also as directsound does
not have message event driven mechanism.

>> I've been trying to fix the ao_win32 code for multichannel but there
>> is some problem in the av-sync. If I turn it off, the sound is good,
>> but video is too fast. Why?

SS> There is some problem with get_delay and get_space then. Without autosync 100
SS> it will use the soundcard for timing. This is why it is playing to fast.

>> In multichannel modes channels need to be remapped as dear M$ never
>> follows standards other than it's own. VideoLan player has a good
>> source for it, but I need to know the liba52 channel layout.

SS> Did you try with the values from videolan? I think they are using liba52, too.

SS> Sascha

VideoLan also messes up the channels is some configurations. I need to
find out the correct ones, so if anyone has/can make an ac3 sound file
containing all the 6 channels with separate sounds (for me to be able
to make difference between them) than I will figure it out